Horses are often kept inside barns which may be substantially hotter than outside temperatures due to radiant heating of the structure. With high temperatures comes the danger of heat stress, and often leads to life-threatening conditions in horses such as heat stroke and anhydrosis. Koolfog misting systems and misting fans eliminate this threat by cooling temperatures within and around stables creating an environment that is healthy and comfortable for horses as much as it does for horse owners and workers.
|Challenge||Effectively cool stables and equestrian facilities during the warmer months of the year.|
|Solution||Koolfog Stablecool® solutions utilize high-pressure misting systems and industrial air circulators to efficiently and effectively reduce air temperatures in stables and equestrian facilities.|
|Benefits||Horses are comfortable, period. Performance is up, breeding complications reduced, health issues are reduced.|
Since the beginning of the domestication of horses, we have used these magnificent animals as a working breed to feed and carry us. Their strength and power has given us the ability to farm, the beginnings of transportation and today they still are treasured for their eloquence and brawn. Their natural physiological processes that make them invaluable to us also can cause significant risk when placed in stables and stalls that are hot, especially during the warmer months of the year when they are already working and exercising in blistering temperatures.
Over half of the energy that is used for a horse’s muscular activity, including even simple locomotion, is converted into heat. As you exercise or work your horse in the warmest months, then lead them back into a building that is hotter than it is outside, heat exhaustion and stroke can strike even in the healthiest of horses. A reaction to this constant heat begins with a loss of muscular control that can harm the rider and horse and can end in death or, minimally, extended care. When horses get hot, they sweat using a process that is exactly what we mimic with our high -pressure misting systems: evaporative cooling. This makes up about 85% of their cooling capability, however, the other 15% is by panting. By trying to cool the body, the horse will pant out the hot air and, ideally, intake air that is cooler than their internal temperatures. This is only effective when the air outside is actually cooler than inside, and it’s also a sign that they are coming close to a state of heat exhaustion or heat stroke. This makes it all that more important to ensure temperatures inside equestrian stalls are comfortable.
Koolfog misting systems lower air temperatures in equestrian centers through adiabatic cooling processes. As the fine fog or mist evaporates it cools the surrounding air significantly. This cooling enhanced by the optional addition of durable circulation fans creates a cool, comfortable environment for horses.
Our society has expanded, some would say for the better, because we’ve been successful at creating relationships with the equestrian world. Our connection with horses, whether for utility or presentation, has become interconnected to our way of life, even in the modern world. Understanding their limitations, needs, and catalysts for excellence is part of our obligations to delivering their care. Koolfog Stablecool® high-pressure misting systems can grant your horses the kind of comfort that supports healthy breeding, the relief necessary after a long day of hard work.